This Week In Tennis
10. V Williams
25. Suarez Navarro
PLAYERS TO WATCH
- CoCo Vandeweghe - Grass is her favourite surface and she's got new coach Pat Cash in tow.
- Jelena Ostapenko - All eyes on the French Open winner to see what she will conjure in her encore.
- Ash Barty - A finalist in Birmingham and quarterfinalist in Nottingham, Barty (#53) could be primed for a big breakthrough
- Petra Kvitova - After suffering a horrific knife attack that threatened her career, Kvitova is back and in search of her second title of the year from three events, and third Wimbledon.
- Venus Williams - Last year's semifinalist at Wimbledon, Venus is the only WTA player to make the second week at each of the last five majors.
- Victoria Azarenka - Former world #1 playing only her second tournament back (Mallorca) since giving birth. She draws rising star Bellis in a tough first rounder.
- Sloane Stephens - Playing her first event since the Olympics last year after foot surgery.
FIRST ROUND INTRIGUE
(8) Cibulkova vs Petkovic
(27) Konjuh vs Lisicki
(4) Svitolina vs Barty
Azarenka vs Bellis
(9) Radwanska vs Jankovic
Riske vs Stephens
(7) Kuznetsova vs Jabeur
(25) Suarez Navarro vs Bouchard
- There are only three former champions in the draw: V. Williams, Kvitova, and Hingis (entered in doubles).
- Serena Williams will not defend her title from 2016 as she is currently off the tour awaiting the birth of her first child. Marion Bartoli in 2013 is the last Wimbledon champion (retirement) who didn't attempt to defend her title the following year
- The last time the top eight seeds made the quarterfinals was 1979.
- Six women have won the last 17 Wimbledon events: S. Williams (7), V. Williams (5), Kvitova (2), Sharapova, Mauresmo, and Bartoli.
Singles: Serena Williams
Doubles: S Williams/V Williams
Mixed Doubles: Watson/Kontinen
ON THE WEB
No Frills, No Crowds, No Money: The Lonely Road to Tennis Glory
Male coaches continue to dominate women's game
Could Serena Williams beat an inferior man in tennis? Here's why it's a dumb debate
Laid off from ESPN, this Reporter is Taking Another Swing at Pro Tennis
How this 20-year-old shocked the tennis world with one shot
Tennis and Motherhood
How do you train to be a tennis umpire?
Why Venus Williams and the U.S. women could rule Wimbledon
Plan to Combine Fed and Davis Cup Finals Could Alter Tennis Landscape
Still Without Full Strength, Kvitova a Popular Pick to win Wimbledon
Anyone for equality? Unseen archive featuring Sue Barker shows how tennis served women’s cause
The Body Serve - Hello Grass, BYE J Mac: Don’t Come For Serena Unless She Sends For You
Beyond The Baseline - Kim Clijsters on Wimbledon, Motherhood, Hall of Fame Induction
Realz Tenis Fanz - Cutting through the Grass with Maria and Federer
Tennis.com - Turf Talk: Considering the Tours as Wimbledon Begins
Thirty Love - Tumaini Carayol on Vika and Petra's comebacks
Top Spin Tennis Pod - Up Yours! Feminist Critiques on The Gross Grass
Tennis Nerd Podcast - The State of Tennis/French Open Review and Wimbledon Sneak Peak!