In Episode 5 of The Body Serve, we discuss Serena Williams' decision to return to Indian Wells:
- The 2001 IW final and the Williams' ensuing boycott
- How race and racism have shaped the Williams' careers
- Serena's legacy and her evolving politics
- Does the U.S. celebrate its black athletes like it does white athletes? Are there strings attached?
- How do blackness, patriotism, and racial politics intersect?
The Body Serve is a new tennis podcast - casual, semi-respectable conversations about the ATP & WTA
Hosted by Jonathan Newman & James Rogers
Available on iTunes